Monday 19 April 2010

Jesu

Jesu have quite a prolific output. They sure write songs fast for a band that then plays them back so slowly.

Key protagonist Justin K Broadwick formed the band in 2003 following the break-up of the moderately-successful Godflesh. Jesu know how to flirt with variety (electronic influences appear much more frequently on later releases) but are better, to my ears, when they stick to their now trademark sound - brutally heavy, downtuned and monolithic guitars tied to a melodic wall of sound not so far away from the aching dreampop of Swervedriver and My Bloody Valentine. It may sound a tired comparison but it's a fairly accurate one; Broadwick himself has heaped praise on MBV time and time again.

I lose count of how many listens I've given the following song, and I'm still not bored of it. This, the title track of their third release, the "Silver" EP, is as fine a place to start as any:


No comments:

Post a Comment